Following withdrawal from the EU, Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) will become a third country with ‘Part 2 listed’ status from 1 January 2021. 

A current EU pet passport issued in GB will not be valid for travel to the EU or NI from 1 January 2021.

Before your pet (dog, cat or ferret) can travel to the EU or NI for the first time after 1 January 2021, you’ll need an animal health certificate (AHC) instead of a pet passport.

You must also take your pet to your vet no more than 10 days before travel to get an AHC. The AHC needs to be signed by an official vet.

You must take proof of:

  • your pet’s microchipping date
  • your pet’s vaccination history

Your pet’s AHC will be valid for:

  • 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU or NI
  • onward travel within the EU or NI for 4 months after the date of issue
  • re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue

On arrival in the EU or NI, pet owners travelling with pets will need to enter through a designated travellers’ point of entry (TPE).

At the TPE, you may need to present your pet’s original AHC along with proof of:

  • your pet’s microchip
  • rabies vaccination
  • tapeworm treatment (if required)

Check the rules of the country you’re travelling to for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel. 

These AHC are issued as bilingual documents (English and your destination country’s language); you will only be able to enter the EU if you hold the correct document for the country you first arrive in. Thus pet owners cannot change their country entry point into the EU once the AHC is completed, otherwise, a new AHC would need to be issued.

In addition, as these are large, 10-page documents that will require a considerable time to complete, and can only be filled by certified veterinary surgeons, it is likely all veterinary practices will be very limited in the number that can be completed prior to 01/01/2021. This means there may be delays in the issuing of such documents by veterinary practices.

Finally, it should be noted that animals younger than 12 weeks of age are no longer permitted to be exported, and that travel is not permitted until 21 days after Rabies vaccination.

Full details are available on the website  or you can contact the pet travel helpline:
Telephone: 0370 241 1710 Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm (closed on bank holidays)